United India Insurance Company (wholly owned by the Government of India) is the 2nd Largest general insurance company with Premium of Rs.16000+ Crore in India. It was incorporated on 18 February 1938, and was nationalised in 1972.
Previously it was a subsidiary of the General Insurance Corporation of India (GIC). But when GIC became a re-insurance company as per the IRDA Act 1999, its four primary insurance subsidiaries New India Assurance, United India Insurance, Oriental Insurance and National Insurance got autonomy.
12 Indian insurance companies, four co-operative insurance societies, five foreign insurers with Indian operations, and the general insurance operations of the southern region of Life Insurance Corporation of India were merged with United India Insurance Company, Limited to form the company.
After Nationalization United India has 16385 work force spread across 2248 offices providing insurance cover to more than 10 million policy holders. The Company has variety of insurance products to provide insurance cover from bullock carts to satellites.
United India has been in the forefront of designing and implementing complex covers to large customers, as in cases of ONGC Ltd, GMR- Hyderabad International Airport Ltd, Mumbai International Airport Ltd, Tirumala-Tirupati Devasthanam, Kochi Metro Rail Corporation etc. UI have been also the pioneer in taking Insurance to rural masses with large level implementation of Universal Health Insurance Programme of Government of India & Vijaya Raji Janani Kalyan Yojana (covering 4.5 million women in the state of Madhya Pradesh), Tsunami Jan Bima Yojana (in 4 states covering 459,000 of families), National Livestock Insurance and many such schemes.
United India Insurance Co. Shopkeeper’s Insurance Policy
United India Insurance Co’s motor claim process:
In case an unfortunate loss covered in the policy occurs we request you to take the following steps to get prompt service
- Contact the policy issuing Office of United India immediately or if the accident takes place anywhere other than the City/ Town where policy issuing Office is located contact the nearest Office of United India so that survey is arranged. List of our Offices with addresses across the country with Phone Numbers are available in our Company’s web site for your ready reference. Check our web site www.uiic.co.in for list of our Offices across the country
- In case of major accidents including fire/riot losses keep the vehicle at the accident spot/ site until the spot surveyor comes to the place of accident and inspects the same. However please note that spot survey is necessary in case of accident to all commercial vehicles. Please keep the phone No. of the agent/ policy issuing Office for quick response from our side.
- Simultaneously if there are any third party injuries/ deaths make sure to inform the nearest Police Station about the accident and also full details of injuries/ deaths or damage to any Third Party Property as the case may be. In case you provide treatment to any injured person/s in any Hospital the name of the hospital and also Doctor’s Name who has given the treatment may be informed to us.
- After completing the said formalities you may move/ tow the vehicle to any authorized workshop of your choice and obtain estimate from them and the same may be submitted to us together with completed claim form (this can be obtained from any of our nearest office) for our arranging final survey. You may also please submit to the surveyor copy of the complaint lodged with the police station along with original FIR if immediately available. However in case where TP injuries are involved FIR is compulsory and the same must be submitted to the office.
- It should be ensured that under no circumstances repair work is commenced until the final surveyor verifies the damage and gives green signal to proceed with the repairs
- After the repairs are carried out for partial loss claims you have to submit the cash bills for spare parts and labour and seek reimbursement if the claim is admissible.