Motor insurance claim

A claim under a motor insurance policy could be

  • For personal injury or property damage related to someone else. This person is called a third party in this context
  • For damage to your own, insured, vehicle. This is called an own damage claim and you are eligible for this if you are holding what is known as a package or a comprehensive policy.

Third Party Claim
In a third party claim, where your vehicle is involved, You need to ensure that the accident is reported immediately to the police as well as to the insurance company.

Own Damage Claim
In the event of an own damage claim, where your own vehicle is damaged due to an accident, you must immediately inform insurance company and police, wherever required, to enable them to depute a surveyor to assess the loss.
Do not attempt to move the vehicle from the spot without informing the insurance company. They may have to send a surveyor for on the spot checking.

Thereafter shift the vehicle to repair garage & another surveyor will inspect your vehicle. If your policy provides for cashless service, which means you do not have to pay out of your pocket for covered damages, the insurance company will pay the workshop directly.

Theft Claim
If your vehicle is stolen, you must inform the police and the insurance company immediately. In addition you must keep the transport department also informed.

If you have to make a claim, ensure that you collect all the required documents and submit them along with the requisite claim form duly filled in, to the insurance company.

There may be certain specific documentation requirements for specific types of claims. For instance in respect of a theft claim, there is a special requirement that you should surrender the vehicle keys to the insurance company.



Documents required for filing Claim

Details you will need to provide in the loss intimation to insurer: 

  • Policy number
  • Your contact numbers
  • Name of insured person
  • Date & time of accident
  • Vehicle number
  • Make and model of the vehicle
  • Location of loss
  • Extent of loss
  • Brief description of how the accident took place
  • Garage name (with contact details)
  • Contact details and name of the insured person (if the person intimating the claim is not insured)

List of documents required. 

​Accident Damages:

  • Proof of Insurance – Policy / Cover Note copy
  • Copy of Registration Book, Tax Receipt (Original required for verification)
  • Copy of Motor Driving License (with original) of the person driving the vehicle at the material time
  • Police Panchanama / FIR (In case of third-party property damage/ death / body injury)
  • Estimate for repairer, where the vehicle is to be repaired
  • Repair bills and payment receipts after the job is completed

In the case that the claim is to be paid to repairer submit the following along with the documents mentioned above:

  • Claims Discharge Cum Satisfaction Voucher signed across a Revenue stamp in this format.

Theft Cases:

  • Original Certificate/Policy Document
  • Original Registration Book, with Theft endorsement from concerned RTO, and tax payment receipt
  • Previous Insurance Details :
    – Policy number
    – Insuring office / company
    – Period of insurance
  • All the sets of keys/service booklets/Warranty card
  • Police Panchanama / FIR and final investigation report/JMFC report
  • Acknowledged copy of letter address to RTO intimating theft and making vehicle “NON-USE”

On Admission of Liability:
Form 28, 29 and 30 signed by the insured

  • Form 35 signed by the Financer, as the case may be, (undated and blank), on admission of liability of insurers.
  • Letter of subrogation
  • Consent towards agreed claim settlement value from you and Financer
  • NOC of the Financer if claim is to be settled in insured’s favour.
  • Claim Discharge Voucher signed across a Revenue Stamp (Format Attached below).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

clear formPost comment